This blog post is about the last 14 min video for my YouTube playlist related to the hands-on tutorial “Develop a Kubernetes app by using Tekton delivery pipelines“. In this video we do the final setup of the toolchain and then we execute a Tekton pipeline. For more background please visit my first blog post “Getting started with continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) using Tekton and an Open Toolchain on IBM Cloud (Part 1/3)“.
Note: The video was live recorded and it would take 30 min for the entire session, but I did reduce the time of the video to only 14 min ;-).
But now the video could be sometimes a little bit (too) fast.
In that video I do provide background information along with some simple tips, which can help to avoid pitfalls, when you have the right understanding.
First I show how to setup the toolchain by …
- … configure the GitRepo/IssueTracking. (video 0:57 sec)
- … configure the Delivery Pipeline private Worker (video 2:38 min)
(using the IBM Cloud Shell)
- … configure the Delivery Pipeline (video 7:28 min)
In the second part of the video I do execute a Tekton pipeline and do a small change in a YAML file for a task step definition. The image below shows a simplified view of the dependencies of a pipeline, a task and steps in Tekton.
Here is a short overview of the content in the video:
- Do a small code change (video 10:58 min)
- Build and save the image in the Container Registry (video 11:25 min)
- Validate the container image (video 11:52 min)
- Do a small change in the configuration definition for an step in the Tekton pipeline (video 12:15 sec)
- Deploy the container image to Kubernetes (video 12:29 min)
More detailed information
For more information how the configuration of a Tekton pipeline in detail works, I suggest to take a look into following two videos. The first from Sebastian Daschner and the second Dewan Ahmed. They do provide a good overview and introduction to Tekton itself.
Here is the related blog post from Sebastian Video course on cloud-native CI/CD with Tekton & ArgoCD.
Here is GitHub project from Dewan Ahmed Tekton101.
Related blog posts:
- Getting started with continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) using Tekton and an Open Toolchain on IBM Cloud (Part 1/3)
- Getting started with continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) using Tekton and an Open Toolchain on IBM Cloud (Part 2/3)
I hope this was useful for you and let’s see what’s next?
#OpenToolchain, #Kubernetes, #IBMCloud, #Tekton